Qazvin, Jan 21, IRNA -- A local court in this northwestern Iranian city has closed down the weekly Taban-e Qazvin on libel charges, the court head, Fereydoun Parvinian, told IRNA here Tuesday.
"The weekly is banned from publication and distribution until further notice and its managing editor has been summoned to court to be informed of the charges brought against him," he said.
Earlier this month, the court in Qazvin lifted a temporary ban on another local weekly which was suspended in November on charges of promoting 'depravity' and discrediting clerics.
Head of the public relations office of Qazvin's Justice Department, Abdollah Qoreyshi, told IRNA that the ban was lifted on the appeal of the editor of Name-ye Qazvin (Letter of Qazvin).
The weekly had remained closed since August after the Justice Department of Qazvin province found it with printing 'insulting materials and inciting public opinion'.
Its editor Ali Shahrouzi had also been accused of 'encouraging the youth to western depravity in its articles which contradict moral decency' as well as 'spreading lies and distorting historical facts, spoiling the reputation of the country's political and religious figures and undermining state organizations'.
The same court suspended another weekly -- Hadith-e Qazvin -- in August.
Iranian courts have summoned scores of journalists and closed down their publications for 'publishing lies and inciting public opinion'.
... Payvand News - 1/22/03 ... --