Tehran, June 2, IRNA -- Iran on Monday condemned a recent ruling by a US court declaring Tehran liable for a 1983 bombing of Marine barracks in Lebanon. He stressed that the issue was a repetition of similar measures by Washington against the Islamic Republic.
"The court ruling was not unprecedented. We have previously said that the Islamic Republic was not involved in the incident, and that the allegations in that connection are provoked by the Zionists," Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid-Reza Asefi told reporters at his weekly news conference.
Asefi said US courts, such as the one that issued the ruling, are engaged in political activities instead of practicing legal issues, adding that their verdicts are thus not credible.
"It seems that certain circles in the US are beginning to resort to whatever means they can to increase pressure against Iran and to further push forward their hostile policies against Iran, even if this cost the credibility of the US judicial apparatus," he said.
"Such measures will bear no fruit, but will only discredit the US Justice Department."
A US federal judge on Friday found Iran liable for the 1983 bombing of a US Marine barracks in Beirut which claimed the lives of 241 troops.
... Payvand News - 6/2/03 ... --