Iran News ...


10/7/03

Released Iranian journalist Mohsen Sazgara talks to reporters

Journalist Mohsen Sazgara said in Tehran on Monday that he went on hunger strike for 79 days during his 114-day detention, IRNA reported.

Talking to reporters after his release from prison and while he was surrounded by relatives and friends in his father's house, he said that he had gone on hunger strike twice, once for 56 days and once for 23 days.

Sazgara said that he had been hospitalized for five times by prison authorities due to his bad health condition followed by his hunger strikes.

On his health condition, the released journalist said that he had to go under treatment due to some problems in his heart, digestion system and liver.

He said that he was released on a rls six billion-bail while facing two files opened at the Revolutionary Court.

Rejecting the accusations concerning his presence at the university dormitory and involving in student unrest, he said the accusation was made by a daily which was rejected by investigators. "I have never been interested in unrest and disorder and I do believe that all problems should be solved through diplomatic solutions," the 48-year old Sazgara pointed out.

Sazgara was an advocate of the 1979 Islamic Revolution but in recent years has turned to a critic of the Islamic republic's authorities.

He was arrested in June, during a wave of student unrest in Tehran. His Golestan-e Iran (Garden of Iran) newspaper was closed down last year shortly after hitting the newsstands.

He was also arrested in February for challenging the current political system and calling for a referendum, but was released after a few days in custody after starting a hunger strike.

... Payvand News - 10/7/03 ... --



comments powered by Disqus

Home | ArchiveContact | About |  Web Sites | Bookstore | Persian Calendar | twitter | facebook | RSS Feed


© Copyright 2003 NetNative (All Rights Reserved)