Iran News ...


4/27/04

Iran: 500 kms of Mashhad-Bafq railroad project completed

Mashhad, April 27, IRNA -- Some 500 kilometers out of a projected 1,000-km-long railroad project here in Khorassan province, northeastern Iran, has been completed, said a provincial official here Tuesday.

The 928-km-long Mashhad-Bafq railroad would link this provincial capital city to the city of Bafq, northeast of Mashhad, the project's executive manager Mehdi Esmaeili told IRNA here.

About 70 percent of work on the project, which was launched four years ago in this province, is finished and the remaining 30 percent within the next two years, he said.

The railroad, once operational, would have an annual transport capacity of about two million passengers and 10 million tons of cargoes, Esmaeili added.

The Mashhad-Bafq railroad would also shorten the travel distance from the city of Sarakhs (northeast of Mashhad) to the southern port city of Bandar Abbas (capital of southern Hormuzgan province) to 280 kilometers from the current 2,700 kilometers, he said.

He said the railroad would also open up landlocked Khorassan province to international trade.

... Payvand News - 4/27/04 ... --



comments powered by Disqus

Home | ArchiveContact | About |  Web Sites | Bookstore | Persian Calendar | twitter | facebook | RSS Feed


© Copyright 2004 NetNative (All Rights Reserved)