According to the evening daily Kayhan, Yazdan Khosravi died at a hospital in Germany Friday despite all efforts to keep him alive, bringing total death toll from the incident to 14.
"All measures had been taken and the necessary cooperation made, but the severity of the burns were such that the medication did not prove effective and the teacher consequently passed away," the paper quoted the head of the education department of Chahar Mahal Bakhtiari province, Akbar Saeedi, as saying.
He said Khosravi's body would be transferred soon to Iran and handed over to his family.
He has been sent to Germany 'with the support of high-ranking officials in view of the seriousness of his injuries'.
The elementary school children died when a faulty heater in their classroom in Safilan village in Chahar Mahal Bakhtiari province caught fire, blocking the doorway and suffocating them.
Khosravi, who was serving his national service as a school teacher in the village, had sustained burns of 85 percent after trying to throw the heater out of the classroom.
According to local officials, the fire intensified after students rushing out of the room in the village school knocked over an oil drum.
On Sunday, Parliament Speaker Gholamali Haddad Adel demanded that those responsible for the incident be duly dealt with.
"There must be due punishment for those who have been lax and culpable commensurate with their responsibility," he said in an open session of the parliament.
Haddad Adel said the incident signified the need for observing security measures in the country's schools and other public places.
... Payvand News - 1/22/05 ... --