Tehran, July 31, IRNA-Iran's Secretary of Supreme National Security Council (SNSC) Hassan Rowhani on Sunday offered a report to President Mohammad Khatami about his performance as the chief negotiator with European Union (EU) over nuclear program.
He said that since initiating the negotiations with three European states, France, Britain, Germany in 2003 and subsequent Paris Accord, Iran has been successful in confidence-building with the international community about national nuclear program.
Rowhani said that Paris Accord followed five topics:
1. The accord aims to reach an agreement unanimously by the two parties. It means that the European partners well know that Iran will agree to a settlement which guarantees Iranian right to go ahead with fuel cycle.
2. Paris Accord recognizes Iranian right to possess nuclear technology for civilian utility. Though right of member states has been enshrined by Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), but, Paris accord was another step by the EU partners for recognition of Iranian fuel cycle capability.
3. Paris Accord called for Iran to give objective guarantee to ensure that Iranian nuclear program is civilian. It is clear Iran is expected to give objective guarantee to go ahead with civilian program and not to cancel it.
4. In return, the EU undertook to give decisive guarantee for political, economic, security and technology cooperation with Iran. It is a step forward to develop long-term cooperation and confidence building about aspirations of the two parties.
5. Cooperation to help resolve regional crises and on international campaign against terrorism including al-Qaeda and Mujahedin Khalq Organization (MKO).
Rowhani said that Iran-EU negotiations have led to turn the crisis to an opportunity for cooperation.
He said that intensive negotiations with the European partners led EU to draft a proposal according to which: 1. EU supports Iranian nuclear program and provides Iran with power plants from European executives.
2. EU undertakes to provide Iran with fuel for power plants. The fuel supply is being guaranteed by United Nations specialized agency International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
3. EU undertakes to support Iranian territorial integrity, independence, national sovereignty vis-a-vis any aggression.
4. EU undertakes to bolster political and security cooperation with Iran and regional security cooperation as well.
5. EU regards Iran as major oil and gas supplier for EU member states.
6. Gradual lifting of the obstacles in the way of supplying Iran with nuclear technology and civilian nuclear equipment.
7. Developing international cooperation with Iran including in the international campaign against terrorism and drug trafficking in the region.
8. Rapid progress of finalization of Iran-EU trade agreement and and speeding up Iranian membership in World Trade Organization (WTO).
Rowhani maintained that evidences indicated that the EU will gradually recognize Iranian right to possess fuel cycle plant.
Iran has made clear that import of fuel cycle is uneconomical when it set up full fuel cycle in line with IAEA safeguard agreement.
Iran is a signatory state to Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and signed Additional Protocol to NPT which grants intrusive inspection to United Nations nuclear energy agency (IAEA).
IAEA charter specifies Additional Protocol to NPT and abiding by safeguard agreement as objective guarantee to ensure that nuclear programs of the member states are merely civilian and will not be diverted to military purpose.
Iran has declared that production of nuclear bomb is Haram (forbidden) in Islam.
Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei whose religious decrees are effective for all levels of power structure in Iran has banned proliferation of nuclear weapon.
"During Iraqi-imposed war, we did not think about retaliating Iraqi chemical attack against Iran even for a moment, because, Islam forbids weapons of mass destruction (WMD)," the Supreme Leader said in one of his statements on Iranian nuclear technology making it clear that national nuclear program is for civilian purpose.
Rowhani said that he would no longer serve as SNSC secretary with term of President Khatami coming to an end.
... Payvand News - 7/31/05 ... --