Tehran, April 18, IRNA-Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid-Reza Asefi said on Tuesday that Iran decided to hold talks with the United States on Iraq though there has been negative view in this respect.
Tehran agreed to hold talks with Washington on Iraq upon a request from the head of the Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI), Abdul Aziz al-Hakim.
Talking to reporters on the fringes of Majlis open session, Asefi said, "Talks will be held just on the agenda of establishment of security in Iraq and withdrawal of occupiers from the country.
"The negotiations will be too limited and should not be overestimated."
He added, "Nothing has been fixed and confirmed about talks yet." Asked about a call from British Prime Minister Tony Blair for holding a meeting with President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, he said, "We have received no such a request."
Asefi said the issue of launching any attack on Iran was a disinformation made by foreign media, adding, "We do not regard them as serious. If unpredictable events take place, the war-mongers themselves, will sustain more damages.
"Almost all US officials also rejected the issue of any military attack on Iran."
In response to a question on changing 60 Iranian ambassadors, he said, "Some 60 to 70 ambassadors were planned to change since taking office of President Ahmadinejad's government last summer and in the upcoming summer.
"We have 120 ambassadors who change every three years. 40 other ambassadors normally change every year."
Asked about reasons behind a delay in introducing certain ambassadors, the spokesman said, "It should not be called a delay.
The procedure is that the foreign minister nominates ambassadors and the president approves nomination. Then they are assigned to the mission. "The procedure needs time."
Responding to a question whether a country has rejected a nominee, the spokesman said, "No country gave negative answer so far. But, there were states which have not replied yet."
... Payvand News - 4/18/06 ... --