TEHRAN, Aug. 15 (Mehr News Agency) -- Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Director Gholamreza Aqazadeh said on Tuesday that Tehran will respond to the 5+1 group's nuclear offer by the previously announced date.
The five permanent members of the UN Security Council - Britain, the United States, Russia, China, and France - plus Germany offered Iran a package of nuclear proposals in early June.
Iran has said that it will respond to the offer by August 22.
"The Islamic Republic's political decision is to respond to the package," Aqazadeh told the Iranian Students News Agency (ISNA).
Iran's response is not related to the Resolution 1696, he said, referring to the UN Security Council resolution passed on July 31 ordering Iran to halt its nuclear work by August 31 or face possible sanctions.
Iran's response will be more comprehensive than what the U.S. and the Europeans think, Aqazadeh said.
He added that nuclear technology has become completely indigenous in Iran and that nobody can change this by making threats.
"All parties know that confrontation will not work" in the case of Iran's nuclear issue, he noted.
Aqazadeh stated that it is not on Iran's agenda to withdraw from the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).
If the Westerners avoid "propaganda and return to the negotiation table, we can solve the problem efficiently," he added. "If they exercise wisdom, there are peaceful ways to solve the matter."
"We don't believe that suspension of uranium enrichment can be regarded as a transparency gesture, therefore we welcome negotiations," he added.
... Payvand News - 8/16/06 ... --