TEHRAN, Nov. 5 (Mehr News Agency) -- Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad-Ali Hosseini announced in Tehran on Sunday that following a second request by Iraqi and U.S. officials for talks with Iran, Tehran will study the matter if the proposal is officially submitted.
future and consultations are underway to set the best date for the trip, Hosseini told reporters at his weekly press briefing.
Commenting on the Iraqi court's decision to impose the death sentence on Saddam Hussein, he stated that execution is the least punishment the former Iraqi dictator deserves, adding that he should still be tried for other crimes.
Turning to Iran's nuclear dossier, Hosseini said that Moscow's attitude toward Iran's case is much more realistic than the other members of the 5+1 group, although Beijing has adopted a similar position.
Underlining the need for a return to the nuclear negotiation process, he said that the negotiating parties should focus on removing Iran's nuclear dossier from the UN Security Council.
Hosseini also advised future UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon to focus on creating a consensus in order to peacefully settle the nuclear dispute.
He suggested that Ban should make efforts to prevent unilateral interference by some major powers in the debate over Iran's nuclear dossier.
Ban had earlier proposed that Iran suspend its uranium enrichment activities.
Hosseini stressed that the ongoing second Great Prophet (S) military exercise being conducted by the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps poses no threat to neighboring countries and added that the main goal of the maneuver is strengthening the country's defense posture.
... Payvand News - 11/5/06 ... --