Iran News ...


11/23/06

Iran to become major iodine producer

TEHRAN, Nov. 22 (Mehr News Agency) - Iran has the potential to become a major producer of iodine. Following the exploration of Iran's first iodine reserve in the nation's northern province of Golestan, experts in the field maintain that the country has the potentials to become the world's ninth producer of the product. Purity composition of Golestan region waters' iodine where the substance is going to be extracted, has been registered at 65 milligram per liter of water however, its actual purity is said to hit 75 milligram per liter.

Exploration of iodine in Golestan's underground waters was made possible through drilling three wells in the region each about 900 to 1,150 meters deep, an official with the Ministry of Industries and Mines told the Persian service of ISNA on Wednesday. He announced that more wells were to be dug in the area.

Overall investment required for the development of iodine production project in Golestan region is estimated to hit around Rls.40 billion, the expert said adding that 80 percent of the equipments needed for the project will be produced inside the country and only the remaining 20 percent is needed to be imported.

Iodine is widely used in pharmaceutical, food, photographic and X-ray films production industries. Currently, Chile, Japan, Turkmenistan, China, Russia, Indonesia, Azerbaijan Republic and the U.S. are the world's major producers of the product.

... Payvand News - 11/23/06 ... --



comments powered by Disqus

Home | ArchiveContact | About |  Web Sites | Bookstore | Persian Calendar | twitter | facebook | RSS Feed


© Copyright 2006 NetNative (All Rights Reserved)