Iran News ...


6/12/07

In letter to UNSC, Tehran condemns Israeli threats against Iran

United Nations, June 12, IRNA - The Islamic Republic of Iran here on Monday wrote a letter to the UN Security Council condemning the insolent threats made against the Islamic Republic of Iran by the Israeli regime.

In the letter also addressed to UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon, Iran's permanent mission at the UN said, "Emboldened by the absence of any action by the Security Council, various Israeli officials have unabatedly continued to publicly and contemptuously make unlawful and dangerous threats of resorting to force against the Islamic Republic of Iran in total defiance of international law and the fundamental principles of the Charter of the United Nations."

The letter, signed by Iran's Ambassador to the UN Mohammad-Javad Zarif, further said in yet another blatant violation of the basic provisions of the United Nations Charter, particularly the provisions which call for refraining "from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the purposes of the United Nations", on Saturday June 9, 2007, Shaul Mofaz the Israeli Deputy Prime Minister threatened to use military action against Iran.

Prior to this, the Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, in response to a question in April 2007 regarding whether military action would be an option against Iran said, "...It is impossible perhaps to destroy the entire nuclear program but it would be possible to damage it in such a way that it would be set back years... it would take 10 days and would involve the firing of 1,000 Tomahawk cruise missiles", the letter added.

"These malicious threats, together with previous ones including those mentioned in document A/61/571-S/2006/884 constitute matters of extreme gravity that require urgent and resolute response on the part of the United Nations and particularly the secretary general and the Security Council," Zarif reiterated in his letter.

"These unacceptable, unlawful and dangerous statements are being made by the Israeli regime's officials in full impunity while the Security Council and the officials of the UN Secretariat are silent and some of the council's permanent members, by pushing for statements against Iran based on various distortions and unsubstantiated allegations, have joined the Israeli regime in a failed attempt and tired smokescreen to distract the international community's attention from the real and serious threats that the said regime poses to international and regional peace and security and to deflect the attention of the United Nations from the daily barrage of illegal Israeli threats to resort to force, as well as its shocking record of resorting to force, terrorism, aggression and occupation against various members of the United Nations," it added.

Indeed, the inaction of the Security Council in dealing with such criminal Israeli policies and practices and the impunity with which this regime has been allowed to carry out its crimes so far have emboldened it to persist on its flagrant defiance of the most basic and fundamental principles of international law and the Charter of the United Nations and to resort to force, aggression and state terrorism as a matter of routine policy, Zarif further said in his letter.

The Iranian envoy urged Security Council to react to these threats by unequivocally condemning them and demanding that the said regime abandon its policy of flouting international law and the the UN Charter and cease and desist immediately from the threat of use of force against the UN members.

Zarif then called for the letter to be circulated as an official document of the UN General Assembly and the Security Council.

Iran denounces US Nicholas Burns for fabricating allegations

Tehran, June 11, IRNA - Iran on Monday lodged protest with the Switzerland Embassy, which looks after the US interest section, against Under-Secretary of State for Political Affairs Nicholas Burns for fabricating anti-Iran allegations.

Iranian Foreign Ministry denounced the US official for fabricating baseless allegations and his irresponsible remarks against Iran.

"The Islamic Republic of Iran condemns the allegations, which are made with the aim of tarnishing image of Iran, and sabotaging Iranian foreign relations, national security and bilateral relations with Argentina," read the letter.

"Iran reserves its rights in light of international and internal law to thwart the US propaganda campaign against Iran. The allegations being made against Iran run counter to the Charter of the United Nations and the international law."

Iran expects the US administration to avoid violating Iranian sovereignty rights, national security and international interests and make good on the damages it inflicts on Iran by fabricating such charges, said the letter delivered to the Swiss Embassy.

... Payvand News - 6/12/07 ... --



comments powered by Disqus

Home | ArchiveContact | About |  Web Sites | Bookstore | Persian Calendar | twitter | facebook | RSS Feed


© Copyright 2007 NetNative (All Rights Reserved)