Business & Economy | Energy & Oil Art | Film & Music | Events Heritage & History Philanthropy
Sports | Politics For Peace | Society & Culture Literature & Books Health & Medicine
Rights | Women | Diaspora Travel | Environment & Geography Science & Education Middle East & Asia

Home | News | Archive| RSS
twitter | facebook



Payvand Iran News ...
6/29/07 Bookmark and Share
MKO stays on EU terrorist list

Brussels, June 29, IRNA - The European Union released Friday its updated list of terrorist entities removing three groups and adding one. The Iranian terror group MKO remains on the updated list.

The EU removed three Italian groups, Nuclei Territoriali Antimperialisti (Anti-Imperialist Territorial Units); Nuclei di Iniziativa Proletaria Rivoluzionaria (Unit for Revolutinonary Proletarian Initiative); Nuclei di Iniziativa Proletaria (Units for Proletarian Initiative) and added the Greek group Epanastatikos Agonas (Revolutionary Struggle).

58 persons and 48 groups are included in the new EU blacklist.

The European Court of Justice last December annulled the decision by the EU to put the MKO on the terror register in 2002.

Since then the group was trying to propagate that it will be removed from the EU terror list.

The court ruling, however, was related to procedural matters rather than the decision itself.

An EU statement said improvements have been agreed regarding the listing and de-listing procedures concerning those on the EU terrorist list, in the light of the court ruling in the MKO case.

"In particular, a statement of reasons is now provided for each person or entity subject to an asset freeze and the persons and entities concerned are informed of the possibility to submit a request , together with supporting documentation, that the decision to include them on the list should be reconsidered."

"New procedures have also been agreed concerning notification, the handling of proposals for listing and of requests for de-listing, and the review of the list," it noted.

"A new working party will be charged with examining proposals for listings and de-listings and with preparing the regular review of the list by the Council."

The EU first adopted restrictive measures against persons and entities involved in terrorism in December 2001, in the wake of the terrorist attacks on 11 September that year.

Since then the lists of those subject to the restrictive measures have been reviewed on a regular basis.

The parties concerned will be informed via a "letter of notification" of the specific information that forms the basis for the EU decision.

The parties concerned may challenge the Council's decision before the EU Court of Justice, said the EU statement.

... Payvand News - 6/29/07 ... --


comments powered by Disqus

© Copyright 2007 NetNative
(All Rights Reserved)

Popular Now

Join Payvand's Facebook Page

join Payvand's daily News mailing list
* indicates required

Home | Contact | About | Archive | Web Sites | Bookstore | Persian Calendar | twitter | facebook | RSS Feed