Tehran, Jan 23, IRNA - An Iranian Foreign Ministry official said here Wednesday that Iran has refused to receive a message from the US.
"Iran refused to accept the US government's message due to the appearance of the world `Gulf' instead of `Persian Gulf' in it and rejected it. So, on this basis, no message has yet been received and evidently, once a revised version is received, it would be investigated," Head of the No. 1 American Affairs Department at Foreign Ministry Ali-Akbar Rezaie told IRNA on Wednesday.
Rezaie made the remark when asked about his assessment of certain media reports on the delivery of the US government's message to Iran by Swiss Embassy and hesitation about receipt or non-receipt of the US government's message to Iran's Foreign Ministry on the formation of a joint military committee.
Elaborating on the message, Rezaie said, "On January 10, 2008, the US government's message was delivered to Iran's Foreign Ministry by the Swiss Embassy concerning the Iranian Navy's encounter with American navies in the Persian Gulf but since the message twice cited 'Gulf' instead of 'Persian Gulf', the Foreign Ministry customarily declined to accept it and returned it.
"Therefore, no message has yet been received. Obviously, once the revised version is received it would be investigated."
He added, "On November 21, 2007, the US government sent a message which cited a number of international signs for conversation between the Islamic Republic of Iran's Navy and the US in the Persian Gulf.
Thirty days after its (the message's) delivery, it (the US government) offered through Swiss Embassy in Iran the proposal for observation of the signs in conversations. The message has made no reference to the formation of a joint military committee and content of the message was revealed to related authorities for consideration and investigation."
Rezaie noted, "It's worth mentioning that as honorable military officials of the country have announced, all conversations in the Persian Gulf and in the course of the January 6 encounter had been based on the internationally recognized signs and customary measures."
He said, "As you see, Foreign Ministry spokesman's statements concerned careful investigation of the issue and of content of the messages (conversations), especially the point questioned by the (IRNA) reporter with regards to the offer for formation of a joint military committee by Iran and the US. And it is necessary to express actual conversation in details of the issue. So, creating any suspicion in public opinion would be an unprofessional and irresponsible move and approach."
... Payvand News - 01/24/08 ... --