TEHRAN, Oct. 19 (Mehr News Agency) -- The winners of Iran's second edition of Cinéma Vérité Festival that took place in Tehran (October 14 to 19) were announced on Saturday night during a ceremony held at Tehran's Vahdat Hall.
The ceremony began with a screening the short doc "Deed of a Letter" featuring the visit of Imam Khomeini with "Mikhail Gorbachev," the former leader of former Soviet Union.
Afterwards, best docs at the "Thirty Years Islamic Revolution" section of the gala were awarded. They included "Deed of a Letter" by Mehdi Bemani, "Night Story" by Abbas Amini, and "One Like Others" by Loqman Khaledi.
Afterwards came the honoring of British documentary filmmaker Richard Leacock, who was attending the festival and visiting Iran for the first time.
Documentary films submitted by 86 countries were screened at the Competition and the Non-competition Sections of the gala, and world-renowned documentary filmmakers from different countries attended the festival.
Veteran British documentary filmmaker Richard Leacock (2nd from R) receives a flower from Deputy Culture Minister for Cinematic Affairs Mohammadreza Jafari-Jelveh (2nd from L) after he was honored with a lifetime achievement award during the closing ceremony of the Second Cinéma Vérité Festival at Tehran's Vahdat Hall. Festival secretary Mohammad Afarideh (1st from L) and an interpreter are also seen in the photo. (Mehr/Sara Sassani)
Following is the list of the winners:
* Best Short Documentary: "Unfenced Square" (Mehrdad Zahedian)
* Best Middle-Length Documentary: "Torqeh" (Mohammad-Hassan Damanzan)
* Best Feature-Length Documentary: "Tinar" (Mehdi Moniri)
* Best Independent Producer: Reza Fattah "Gravity"
* Best Researcher: Mehrdad Zahedian "Unfenced Square"
* Best Narration: "Unfenced Square" (Mehrdad Zahedian)
* Best Cinematography: "Bulb" (Asghar Abgun)
* Best Editor: Mohammad-Moin Karimoddini "Tinar"
* Jury Special Award: "All My Mothers" (Ebrahim Saeidi and Zahavi Sanjavi)
* Festival's Director Special Award: "Beaches of Tears and Olives" (Reza Borji)
* Best Short Documentary: "Last Fitting" (Reza Haeri)
* Best Feature-Length Documentary: "The Fortress", (Fernand Melgar from Switzerland) and "The Existence (Marcin Koszalka from Poland)
* Jury Special Award (Short Doc): "Lakshmi and Me" (Nishta Jain from India)
* Jury Special Award (Feature-Length): "All My Mothers"
* Best Audience Award: "Unfenced Square"
* Cinema Critic Special Award: "Unfenced Square", "Tinar", and "The Red Rose Lady" Mojtaba Mirtahmasb
* International Honorary Diploma: "Vals" (Victor Asliuk from Belarus) and "Tinar"
The ceremony ended with short speeches by documentary filmmakers and jury members including Khosro Sinaii.
He expressed his happiness on holding such event in the country and said, "Not all the seats are taken tonight, but if the program continues like this, all the seats will be filled some day."
He also expressed his appreciation to the organizers and sponsors of the festival and said, "If we did not have their support, such program would never be established in the history of Iran's documentary cinema."
... Payvand News - 10/19/08 ... --