Iran News ...


08/15/09

Iran Majlis to detail post-vote death toll - Larijani says 100 sexual abuse claims examined before his response to Karroubi

Text Source: PressTV

Amid ongoing debate about the post-election death toll, a senior lawmaker says he will put forth a detailed list of those who were killed in the street violence.

Morteza Alviri, a senior Parliamentarian and member of the special committee investigating the death and detention of election protestors, said he would list all individuals killed in the demonstrations that spiraled out of control.

"With the cooperation of the officials at the Behesht Zahra cemetery in Tehran, we have decided to review death certificates and list all the recent victims," said Alviri, adding that the list would be made available to Parliament (Majlis) upon completion.



His remarks come only days after Alaeddin Boroujerdi, Head of the Parliament's National Security and Foreign Policy Commission, said the committee's list of the death toll had been proven "inconclusive".

Alviri acknowledged the shortcomings of the post-vote death list, saying that it was based on preliminary information obtained from the friends and families of the victims.

Parliamentary investigations into the state of detained opposition demonstrators have provoked a steady wave of criticism in the past few weeks.

Principlist lawmaker Ali Motahari, in a Monday interview, said the group's efforts have "been nowhere near enough, unless of course they manage to identify and arrest the culprits."

According to a count by the committee, at least 30 people were killed in the grisly wave of street violence that ensued the disputed June 12 presidential election.

More than 300 protestors were subsequently taken to jail for their involvement in the unprecedented mayhem.

Iranian Prosecutor General, Qorban-Ali Dorri-Najafabadi, said earlier in the week that there are currently less than 200 people in police custody.

 

Larijani says 100 claims examined before his response to Karroubi

TEHRAN, Aug. 14 (Mehr News Agency) - Majlis Speaker Ali Larijani has said his response to Mahdi Karroubi's recent claims of sexual abuse of a number of prisoners arrested after the presidential election was not "hasty", saying over 100 claims had been examined before he made the remarks.

"Majlis special committee examined all claims in this time period and over 100 claims were referred to the committee... and the committee announced the result," he said in a statement on Friday.

In a letter dated July 29, Karroubi wrote to Expediency Council Chairman Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani about rumors of rape and sexual abuse of a number of prisoners who were detained in the post-election unrest and urged him to examine the issue.

On Wednesday, Larijani said the issue of rape or sexual harassment of the detainees is "totally baseless".


Marina Nemat: Rape in Evin Prison (English Subtitle)

On Thursday, Karroubi called Larijani's response hasty and said the Majlis speaker was under pressure due to his position in the parliament.

"Mr. Larijani is worried that he will suffer the same fate as Dr. (Gholam-Ali) Haddad-Adel and (dreads) that he will be removed from his position," Karroubi told the Saham News website run by the National Confidence Party.

Majlis special committee asked Karroubi to submit any information or evidence of his claims,

... Payvand News - 03/25/16 ... --



comments powered by Disqus


Other Insteresting Articles:
Home | ArchiveContact | About |  Web Sites | Bookstore | Persian Calendar | twitter | facebook | RSS Feed


© Copyright 2009 NetNative (All Rights Reserved)