TEHRAN, Dec. 15 (Mehr News Agency) - The Iranian Foreign Ministry has dismissed a report that claims Tehran is working on a key component of a nuclear bomb, calling it a psychological warfare scenario devised by the West.
"Some countries are angry that our people defend
their nuclear rights," Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ramin Mehmanparast told
reporters at his weekly press briefing on Tuesday.
When the Western countries "want to pressure us, they devise such scenarios," he added.
Mehmanparast made the remarks in response to a report published in the British newspaper The Times, which claimed on Monday it had obtained notes describing a four-year plan by Iran to test a neutron initiator, the component of a nuclear bomb which triggers an explosion.
"This claim has political aims, and it is psychological warfare" and it has not been verified by the International Atomic Energy Agency, AFP quoted the Foreign Ministry spokesman as saying.
5+1 group meeting on Iran cancelled
Meanwhile, senior officials from three countries
involved in the discussions on Iran's nuclear program said on Monday that a
previously scheduled meeting on the issue has been cancelled at China's request.
One of the officials said China cited scheduling problems when asking for the cancellation, and the 5+1 group (China, the United States, Russia, Britain, France, and Germany), now plan to talk by conference call. That call was tentatively set for December 22, AFP reported.
The official said China seemed to have genuine problems over attending the meeting in Brussels or outside the Copenhagen climate summit and did not appear to be seeking to delay it. Still, the development was a setback in efforts to present a unified front on Iran.
China, a permanent member of the UN Security Council that has developed a close relationship with Iran, has persistently defied efforts to pressure Iran, saying the dispute with Tehran should be resolved diplomatically.
... Payvand News - 12/15/09 ... --