Business & Economy | Energy & Oil Art | Film & Music | Events Heritage & History Philanthropy
Sports | Politics For Peace | Society & Culture Literature & Books Health & Medicine
Rights | Women | Diaspora Travel | Environment & Geography Science & Education Middle East & Asia

Home | News | Archive| RSS
twitter | facebook



Payvand Iran News ...
07/01/09 Bookmark and Share
Chancellor denies asking police to enter University of Tehran dormitory

Source: Mehr News Agency, Tehran


Farhad Rahbar

University of Tehran Chancellor Farhad Rahbar rejected claims on Tuesday that he had asked the police to enter the university's dormitory on June 15.

The response came as MP Mohsen Kouhkan told reporters on Tuesday that security forces had entered the dormitory at a request of the university chancellor.

"The police's entrance into the University of Tehran's dormitory was not on my request or with my permit. I strongly reject the remarks of this member of the Majlis," he told the Mehr News Agency on Tuesday.

The chancellor also pointed out that he was informed of the event after the police had entered the dormitory.

Kouhkan, a leading MP in the conservative camp, said, "Rahbar himself had asked the security forces to enter the University of Tehran's dormitory in order to maintain the security."


One of the badly damaged rooms in the dormitory


Kouhkan also added according to the law, the police could enter the dormitory only on a request by the university chancellor.

On June 15, a group of unidentified persons had illegally entered the dormitory and beat a number of students, damaged their property and detained some of them. The students had protested the election results.

The police claim they had stepped in to safeguard the dormitory.

 

Over 1000 detained during unrest: police chief


Iran doctor tells of Neda's death
The doctor who tried to save an Iranian protester as she bled to death on a street in Tehran has told the BBC of her final moments. Dr Arash Hejazi, who is studying at a university in the south of England, said he ran to Neda Agha-Soltan's aid after seeing she had been shot in the chest. Dr Hejazi said he had not slept for three nights following the incident, but he wanted to speak out so that her death was not in vain.

National Police Chief Esmaeil Ahmadi-Moqaddam revealed on Wednesday that over 1000 people were detained during the recent unrest in Tehran but most of them have gone free.

"During the recent unrest in Tehran, the police arrested 1032 people. Many of them have been released," he said.

Ahmadi-Moqaddam pointed to the murder of Neda Agha-Soltan, who was shot dead in Tehran, saying, "It was a preplanned scenario."

Neda's death had no relations with protests, Ahmadi-Moqaddam added.

The police official also said Iran has asked Interpol to arrest Arash Hejazi - a doctor who witnessed the murder - for spreading rumors about the young girl's murder.

Ahmadinejad has asked Judiciary Chief Ayatollah Mahmoud Hashemi Shahroudi to thoroughly investigate the "suspicious" murder of Agha-Soltan.

Ahmadi-Moqaddam also stated that over 500 of the police forces were injured during the streets protests.

The police chief went on to say that 20 were killed in the unrest but no policeman was among the dead.

Iranians Killed and Detained Since June 12
The government has admitted to at least 27 fatalities in Tehran but the true numbers are most probably much higher. The Campaign has been able to identify only the names of four persons killed in Tehran during recent protests because of the extreme restrictions imposed by the government. There are also reports of fatalities in other cities but the Campaign has not been able to collect any reliable information. -International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran

 

MP says communication limitations should be lifted

TEHRAN, June 30 (Mehr News Agency) -- MP Hossein Sobhaninia stated on Tuesday that some communication limitations such as the disablement of SMS text messaging which have been introduced in recent days should be lifted and the country take a normal course again.

The SMS text messaging has been disabled since June 11, one day before the presidential election.

The State Inspectorate Organization Director Mostafa Pourmohammadi said on Monday that part of the disablement of the SMS text messaging is due to the security measures.

Sobhaninia, who sits on the Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Committee, also said now that the Guardian Council has confirmed the validity of presidential election it is natural that the country will see the stoppage of unrests in the country.

Today all political factions and activists should urge people to remain calm and maintain unity and consider the election dispute as a closed issue, he told the Mehr news agency.

He noted that the MPs member to the Majlis security committee should study all the pros and cons of the election. He added one of the concerns of the committee is to help establish a normal condition in the country.

... Payvand News - 07/01/09 ... --


comments powered by Disqus

© Copyright 2009 NetNative
(All Rights Reserved)

Popular Now

Join Payvand's Facebook Page

join Payvand's daily News mailing list
* indicates required

Home | Contact | About | Archive | Web Sites | Bookstore | Persian Calendar | twitter | facebook | RSS Feed