International solidarity with Iranian students' movement
On the occasion of Iran's National Student's Day
On December 7, The National Student's day in Iran is being held. A large number of Iranian students commemorate this date annually. We, "Iranian progressive youth" (IPY) in collaboration with student union in Delft (VSSD) are planning to organize a conference with regard to this occasion on December 5, 2009. In order to create a comprehensive and impartial picture of the student movement in Iran, we have invited a number of prominent student activists from different political backgrounds. A number of progressive artists are also invited to reflect the same subject from a cultural perspective.
Date: Saturday December 5, 2009, at 13:00 :
Aula Congress Centrum, auditorium
Mekelweg 5, 2628 CC, Delft
Iranian prominent student activists:
1. Ahmad Batebi, spokesperson of Human Rights Activists in Iran (HRAI). He gained international fame as "an icon for Iran's student movement" for his appearance on the July 17, 1999 cover of The Economist magazine, holding up a shirt splattered with the blood of a fellow protester. The death sentence he received was further reduced to 10 years prison.
2. Parisa Nasrabadi, socialist student activist, editorial chief of Gavan, Univeristy & People, Be Pish! students magazine.
3. Saeed Ghasseminejad, spokesperson of Iranian Liberal Students and Graduates. He was sentenced to 2 years suspended Imprisonment.
4. Anahita Hosseini, former member of Students for Freedom and Equality in Iran. She was arrested and has been freed on bail. She has just left the country.
- Spokesperson of European Students' Union
- Spokesperson of European School Student Unions
- Spokesperson of International federation of Liberal Youth
- Spokesperson of International Union of Socialist Youth
- Spokesperson of Youth of the European People's Party
- Spokesperson of Young European Greens
- Iraj Janati Ataei, Playwright, poet and lyricist
- Shahrokh Moshkin Ghalam, dancer, actor, unique Foreign Pensionnaire of the prestigious French Comédie Française
- Pejman Akbarzadeh, pianist, researcher and journalist
- Shahin Najafi, singer, songwriter and musician
- Anonymous Sinners, rap music band
- Pasha Karami, Pejman Zahedian & Ramin Azimian, Persian traditional music
We seek to inform both political youth organizations and student union (s) in the Netherlands and Europe about the latest developments regarding the student movement in Iran. We are also looking forward to introduce the student movement in Iran, as one of the most important social movements in Iran, and provide a contribution with regard to the democratization process in Iran.
... Payvand News - 11/27/09 ... --