Source: Rooz Online
Following the government closure of a committee
that pursued the status of post June 12 election detainees, a source close to Mehdi Karoubi,
the presidential contender who has been exposing the atrocities that have taken
place in prisons told RoozOnline, "Mr. Karoubi was taken back over the closure
of the committee because he believed that the two meetings that he had with
judiciary officials on the subject were very constructive." He further said that Karoubi believed
there was a rational group inside the regime that believed in pursuing this
issue. But this may the very reason why hardline elements are panicking and thus
intervened to stop the work of the committee. "If the committee continues its
work with Mr. Karoubi, then many issues will come to light. New issues are
surfacing with every passing day. They wish to cut Mr. Karoubi from the people,"
he said. Read on for more details.
This source told Rooz, "Mr. Karoubi has till today submitted several documents to the committees, and he was very happy with their work. He had told them to continue their investigations and when they had reached some conclusions another meeting would be held. This is why he was surprised that the offices had been shut and sealed off. It is hardline circles that engage in such activities and the arrest of Mr. Beheshti and Mr. Alviri are in this light. Other groups are not in favor of the current atmosphere and are keen on discovering the injustice that has been perpetrated. The closure of the committee offices is unreasonable."
When asked about what Karoubi intended to do with these events and the new circumstances, he said, "He is pursuing the issues from his home and has said that he will continue to fight for the rights of the victims so long as he lives because the blood that has been shed only hurts a regime for whom many have lost their lives in turn. It is unfortunate that some desire to take the regime in some unknown direction through unlawful ways and masquerades of protecting it."
This source implied that there was a difference among the leaders of the regime over the way to handle the current issues and said, "It appears that moderates in the regime have lost control and as a result the extremists do whatever they want. The shutting of the office to pursue the complaints of the public is something that senior authorities of the regime have opposed. In other words, those who wish to cover up what has happened are ignoring the views of the more senior officials."
Talking about Karoubi's next steps, he said, "Mr. Karoubi shall continue his pursue of the cases of the victims of the post election atrocities. While it is he who will make the final determination as to what to do, his has tried to pursue the issue through domestic channels as an effort to prevent the politicization of the event. The issue is very clear: Crimes have taken place and the Islamic system is responsible to investigate them. It is as simple as that. In fact, the dignity of the state is higher than to support the criminals vs. the victims."
... Payvand News - 09/12/09 ... --