Source: Mehr News Agency, Tehran
The shelter used by Reza Shah Pahlavi and his
family during World War II was opened to the public on June 21 at Tehran's
Sadabad Cultural Historical Complex.
The shelter, consisting of one room and two hallways, was constructed by Germans for the Shah's family as a refuge in case of impending danger during World War II (1939-45).
Built inside one of the natural hills in north east of the complex, it is estimated that the shelter was constructed sometime in the early 1940's during the war.
And now after all these years, the shelter is home to an exhibition of documents, photos and slides pertaining to World War II, and Iran's neutral stance in the war and the destruction suffered by several Iranian cities in those years.
Some of the photos on display feature visits between Iranian officials and the Allies. Also included are their agreements and several official letters inscribed by Iranian ambassadors in Britain and France.
The shelter was first visited by Cultural Heritage, Tourism and Handicrafts Organization (CHTHO) Director Hamid Baqaii on June 21. The permanent exhibit is open to the public.
In addition, the complex is hosting another exhibit at the Pahlavi children's mansion, which has been converted into the Museum of Contemporary Handicrafts.
The museum is home to paintings, enameled items, mosaic works, miniatures, pieces of earthenware and several other precious handicrafts.
Moreover, the mansion used by Mohammadreza Shah's brother Gholamreza has also been converted into a permanent exhibit of the weapons used by the royal family. A total of 70 different types of guns are on show at the mansion.
All the exhibits were visited by CHTHO Director Hamid Baqaii on its opening day.
... Payvand News - 06/22/10 ... --