Payvand.com - The Islamic Revolution Guards Corp (IRGC) issued a statement on Sunday denying any connection with the attack on Mahdi Karroubi's home.
"Gathering of some headstrong elements outside Karroubi's home which led to shooting from his home was organized by a number of unwise and willful elements and we strongly condemn the incident ... and those who have been behind this incident have no relation with the sacred organs of Basij and Sepah (IRGC)," the statement says.
Karroubi's home has come under repeated attacks with latest
ones happening last week prior to the annual Qods Day rallies. The attacks
reached their height on Thursday night when the attackers broke into the house,
fired shots and throw Molotov cocktails at the building. As a result,
Karrubi's chief bodyguard was severely injured, and the building sustained
Karrubi's website, Saham News, had said militants and "more than 50 members of the Basij," a volunteer force loyal to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, had surrounded his house and carried out the attacks.
Karroubi's house after attacks
The attack happened after comments made by IRGC Commander Mohammad Ali Jafari, alluded to support for such attacks. Jafari said that the people of Iran would judge the "heads of sedition," instead of the regime, referring to opposition leaders. There was no attempt made by police forces to stop the attacks, a sign that confrontations with opposition leaders are being formally managed by pro-government and security forces.
Revolutionary Guard chief General Mohammad Ali Jafari (left)
It should be noted that despite the fact that the attacks lasted few nights, there have been no reports of any arrests being made by the security forces. This is even more ironic since just last week the security forces displayed their readiness to confront thugs in the city.
The attackers have threatened they plan to return. Perhaps
this time around the security forces won't be so absent from the scene?
Related Articles:Heavy clashes in Qoba mosque in the city of Shiraz
Hardliners Attack House Of Opposition Leader Karrubi
The son of opposition leader Mehdi Karrubi says hardliners tried to forcefully enter his father's house tonight but were stopped by his bodyguards. Hossein Karrubi -- who was at his father's house at the time of the attack -- told RFE/RL's Radio Farda that the attackers fired shots at the house and smashed the windows and surrounding street lamps. -Golnaz Esfandiari, RFE
Hossein Karroubi: Attack was response of Supreme Leader to my mother's letter
In an interview with Deutsche Welle, Hossein Karroubi talked about the recent attacks on his father's residence. The residence of Mehdi Karroubi was under attack by Basiji forces the night before Qhods. According to Hossein Karroubi, bullets were fired at the water pipes and the entire house was filled with water. The telephone lines in the entire building were also disconnected
Iran: Women's Rights Campaigners Convicted, Lawyers Under Increased Persecution
Authorities in the Islamic Republic of Iran are continuing to arrest and jail civil society activists while persecuting and prosecuting independent lawyers, the International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran reported
Iran: Zahra Rahnavard attacked by pro-government forces
Zahra Rahnavard, Iranian opposition figure, was attacked by a group of plainclothes forces of the Islamic Republic on the streets of Tehran. Kaleme website reports that the attack occurred a few nights ago in an alley close to her residence
... Payvand News - 03/25/16 ... --