Iran's special parliamentary committee examining the protests of February 14 protests said today that those events were "Israeli, American, British, anti-Revolutionary and treasonous."
On February 14, Iranian protesters responded to a rally call by opposition leaders MirHosein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi and marched in the streets of Tehran and other major cities in solidarity with the Arab uprisings.
In Tehran, clashes with security forces led to the death of two protesters, Saneh Jaleh and Mohammad Mokhtari, as well as dozens of injuries and thousands of arrests.
The parliamentary committee's report, which was commissioned on February 15 at the recommendation of parliamentary speaker Ali Larijani, states: "Those who invited people to march, the organizers and encouragers of disturbing the security of the country on that day such as MirHosein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi and others, have committed treason against the people and are anti-Revolutionary and deserving of prosecution and firm confrontation."
The report concludes: "Based on the available evidence and documents, the committee deems the prosecution of MirHosein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi along with their affiliates and collaborators who have had roles in the recent scourge necessary and [the committee declares] that there is no longer any justification for failing to put them to trial," the report adds.
On February 15, the majority conservative Members of Parliament opened their sessions with shouts of "Death to Mousavi!" and "Death to Karroubi!"
The Iranian judiciary has made consistent verbal attacks against the opposition leaders but so far has refrained from taking any official legal action against Mousavi and Karroubi. The head of the judiciary has repeatedly announced that, according to the Supreme Leader, it is not in the best interest of the regime to prosecute Mousavi and Karroubi. The opposiiton leader have been prominent figures in the history of the Islamic Republic.
The parliament's report insists the February 14 protests were planned by the U.S., Israel and Western countries against the Islamic Republic regime.
The parliament also recommends firm action against the "illegal activities" of foreign embassies in Iran, asserting that all of the "individuals and political groups and domestic and international sites and media that have promoted the Bahman 25 ( February 14) scourge and invited the people to join it" are enemies of Iran and collaborators with the U.S., Israel and Britain.
The International Federation for Human Rights (FIDH) and the Iranian League for the Defence of Human Rights (LDDHI) have issued a joint statement warning that the “disappearance” of Iran’s opposition leader would have consequences.
Mir Hossein Mousavi (L) & Mehdi Karroubi
The two rights groups indicate they are taking measures to file a complaint with the United Nations Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances (UNWSEID) on behalf of MirHosein Mousavi, Mehdi Karroubi and their spouses Zahra Rahnavard and Fatemeh Karroubi.
Despite announcements by both the Iran and Tehran prosecutors that the opposition leaders are still in their homes under house arrest, the two rights groups note that the children of the two couples say their parents have been in an unknown location since February 28.
The joint statement cites unofficial reports that the two couples have been moved to a prison under the supervision of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards.
The opposition leaders had been put under house arrest after they called for a march on February 14 in support of the recent Arab uprisings.
Their children have issued a statement saying that all evidence suggests their parents are no longer at their homes.
“The houses of the four opposition leaders have been surrounded by the security forces and all their contacts were under scrutiny for months,” said Karim Lahidji, vice-president of FIDH and president of the Iranian League for the Defence of Human Rights. “Now they have disappeared. Their case constitutes a clear application of enforced or involuntary disappearance. The Iranian authorities are responsible for their safety. We will alert and file a complaint with the UN Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances on their behalf.”
The statement notes that on March 1, hundreds of thousands of people demonstrated in Tehran and other major cities to end repression and demand the release of the opposition leaders. But they were faced with extreme violence from government forces.
Lahidji states that in view of the “ongoing brutal suppression of peaceful protesters and the disappearances in the Islamic Republic”, the international community should pass a resolution which includes the appointment of a special rapporteur on human rights for Iran.
He also calls on the European Union to take action on the list of human rights violators the rights group has submitted to them in February 2011 by “freezing their assets and imposing visa bans, and reiterating its ban on visits by European officials to Iran.”
... Payvand News - 03/25/16 ... --