Source: VOA
Britain has ordered the immediate closure of the Iranian
embassy in London and has closed its embassy in Tehran, following a mob attack
Tuesday on British embassy compounds in the Iranian capital. Also, Iran's
diplomatic staff has been ordered to leave the United Kingdom within 48 hours.

Photos: UK Embassy in
Tehran stormed
British Foreign Secretary William Hague announced the decision
in parliament Wednesday.
He said Iran's diplomatic staff has been ordered to leave the
United Kingdom within 48 hours.
"If any country makes it impossible for us to operate on their
soil, they cannot expect to have a functioning embassy here."
Hague added that Britain's response is not an indication it is
severing ties with Iran. However, he said the action reduces relations with Iran
to the "lowest level consistent with the maintenance of diplomatic relations."
On Tuesday, British Prime Minister David Cameron said Iran
faced "serious consequences" for failing to defend the British compounds from
protesters who smashed embassy windows and ransacked offices as police looked
on.
The Iranian protesters had gathered in a reflection of
government anger at British financial sanctions imposed on Iran last week.
Britain, the United States and Canada announced coordinated
sanctions in response to Iran's pursuit of a nuclear program that U.N. experts
say appears designed to build weapons. Iran says its nuclear program is
peaceful.
Iranian parliament speaker Ali Larijani said Wednesday that
Iranian police tried to maintain calm during the assaults in Tehran.
"This anger was the outpouring of several decades of
exploitative actions by England in Iran. Part of it dated back to early periods
of constitutional revolution (1905) and part of it was because of (UK's) role in
strengthening the Pahlavid dynasty. After the revolution which caused England to
lose its influence, they continued their animosity with the Iranian nation."
He also said the protests reflected ongoing Iranian discontent
with Britain.
The attacks drew more international criticism Wednesday.
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon's office said he expressed
shock and outrage as he met with a British official during an aid conference in
South Korea.
U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton strongly condemned the
embassy assault as an "affront not only to the British people but also to the
international community."
China's foreign ministry said the assault was "contrary" to
international law and norms and should be dealt with "appropriately." It was a
rare Chinese criticism of Iran, a key supplier of energy to the Chinese economy.
France recalled its ambassador to Iran for consultations. The
foreign ministry said the move was a result of Tehran's "flagrant and
unacceptable violation" of international diplomacy guidelines.
Germany also recalled its ambassador from Iran.
Norway has closed its diplomatic mission in Tehran following
Tuesday's mob assaults on the British facilities.
... Payvand News - 11/30/11 ... --