Source: Iranian American Physicists (IrAP)
An illustration from Biruni's astronomical works, explains the different phases of the moon.
Iranian scholar Biruni
To promote and recognize outstanding research by a physics graduate student of Iranian heritage who is currently studying in one of the institutions of higher education in USA. Iranian American Physicists (IrAP) Network Group is announcing 2013 Biruni Graduate Student Research Award (GSRA) to be submitted at the American Physical Society (APS) March meeting 2013 in Baltimore. Award includes a cash prize. Qualification:
A physics graduate student of Iranian heritage in USA in her/his senior year of graduate school (MS or PhD) who is studying at any institute of higher education/national laboratory/industry is encouraged to apply for this award. The graduate student who applies for this award must be a member of IrAP network group. Please check www.irapnetwork.org for more details about IrAP's bylaws, membership application form, and the Biruni award history and qualification criteria.
Nomination and Application Materials:
Each applicant has to be nominated by her/his MS/PhD adviser or head of the department. A letter of nomination should be accompanied with details of the importance and impact of the applicant's research. All the application materials shall be submitted by February 15th 2013 to the award coordinator member of the IrAP's board of the directors to be considered for 2013 Biruni award. Applicants are encouraged to send all relevant materials in PDF format via email (the letter of recommendation has to be emailed directly to the award coordinator member of the IrAP's board of the directors):
- A letter of nomination by MS/PhD advisor or head of the department detailed over the applicant's research.
- CV (not more than 2 pages) including the peer reviewed publications list (published or submitted).
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty/researcher who is familiar with the applicant's work or who has been collaborated with the applicant on her/his research (not the MS/PhD adviser). This letter has to be sent directly to the IrAP's award coordinator.
- PDF copies of the published / submitted papers to peer-reviewed journals, or the pre-prints of the articles under preparation (2 papers maximum).
- Late submission of the documents will not be acceptable (no exception).
- The documents requested are restricted to the maximum limit described. Additional recommendation letters or publications will not be considered.
We suggest that the applicants send their materials soon and don't wait till the deadline date to allow the reviewing committee plenty of time for review.
The review committee seeks the following qualifications among the candidates:
- Thoroughness / appropriate attention to details
- Teamwork spirit among experimenters
- Perspective views on future applications/impacts of the research and direction of future work.
IrAP Award Coordinator: Farbod Shafiei, Ph.D. Department of Physics University of Texas at Austin 2511 Speedway RLM 5.208 Austin TX 78712 firstname.lastname@example.org
Related Info: Mr. Ramis Movassagh is the winner of 2012 "Biruni" award
... Payvand News - 12/10/12 ... --