Photos by Adel Azizi, ISNA
A group of residents of Arak in central Iran held a gathering to protest the dangerously high levels of pollution in the city. According to a report by Arakna News Agency, Arak has been suffering from high pollution for the last 83 days.
People are blaming high rate of cancer and other health issues on the pollution and are demanding actions from the authorities to bring it under control.
Arak is a city in and the capital of Markazi Province, Iran. At the 2006 census, its population was 526,182, in 160,761 families. Arak is one of the main industrial cities of Iran, possessing many plants for heavy industries especially for the metal and machinery industries, including:
- Machin Sazi Arak (MSA) and AzarAb factories (producing heavy machinery such as boilers and chemical reactors)
- Wagon Pars (train manufacturer)
- Iranian Aluminium Company (IrAlCo)
- HEPCO (heavy road construction vehicles)
- Navard Aluminum
- Iran Combine Manufacturing Company (Combine-Sazi-e Iran)
- Arak (Shazand) Oil Refinery Company
- Arak (Shazand) Petrochemical Co. (AR.P.C)
- Heavy Water production plant
- Power plant and a low power (less than 40 megawatts) heavy water nuclear power plant (IR-40).
Related report by Arakna News (see high resolution)
Video: Protest gathering in Arak on Saturday August 3, 2013
... Payvand News - 08/18/13 ... --