Source: Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans
I am Cyrus, I am more than what the media portrays me to be.
I am Cyrus, I am a leader. I am Cyrus. I am unique.
I am Cyrus, I am...
Convey your own message of what you think your Iranian heritage represents in any way you want and submit it in our contest to promote the upcoming Cyrus Cylinder tour in the U.S.
Cyrus the Great of Persia was the ruler of one of the first multi-cultural, multi-national, multi-religious empires in the world. He promoted religious freedom, respect for humanity, and tolerance. His vision ensured that the people residing in his empire did so under a just and generous rule and were able to celebrate their unique cultures and religions. In 529 B.C. he made a declaration on a small clay cylinder that is widely acclaimed to be the first declaration of human rights. This cylinder is known as the Cyrus Cylinder.
To commemorate the significance of the Cyrus Cylinder, which begins its first-ever tour of the US in 2013, and to celebrate the diversity and richness of Iranian culture, the Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans is proud to announce its “I Am Cyrus. I am...” contest.
All entries must be submitted by March 25, 2013.
Submissions can be made for each of the following categories:
- Article/Short Story/Poem
- Musical Composition/Compilation
Submission can be made by individuals in one of the following groups:
- Group 1: Non-Student
- Group 2: University/College student
- Group 3: High School student
- Group 4: Middle School student
- Group 5: Elementary School student
PAAIA will award winners in each of the above categories as follows:
Group 1 - Non-Student $700
Group 2 - University/College Student $500
Group 3 - High School Student $350
Group 4 - Middle School Student $250
Group 5 - Elementary School Student $150
All winning submissions will be featured on the PAAIA website and used to promote one or more of the upcoming Cyrus Cylinder exhibitions.
One submission will be selected as the grand prize winner* to serve as PAAIA’s official Cyrus Cylinder Tour promotional tool and will be featured on the PAAIA website. The grand prize winner will be chosen from among the five category winners and will receivean additional prize of $250.
*PAAIA reserves the right to alter the final promotional tool or to reject all submissions for the final promotional tool.*
All submissions become the property of PAAIA and may be used for commercial purposes. No entries will be returned, so please keep all your files and/or scan your work.
- Submissions should be graphically attractive and use a dynamic message. We especially look for images that demonstrate that Iranian culture is not limited by one ethnicity, religion, or even place of residence, but that it is one that has been marked throughout history by an eclectic elasticity, just as the Achaemenid Empire’s multiculturalism portrayed.
- You may use almost any method or media type to convey your message (e.g. words, illustrations). Feel free to be creative. Acceptable media include posters, music, videos, articles, etc. Please note that video or audio files should be no more than four minutes in length.
- Do not submit anything perishable (e.g. food), or any item that has been worn (e.g. clothing).
- Submissions that include the Cyrus Cylinder or its messages are highly encouraged.
- Artists may make multiple submissions in the same category, but may not submit multiple entries in different groups. If submitting multiple entries, please send them all in one package or email submission.
- IMPORTANT: Each entry must include the artist's full name, address, phone number, valid e-mail address and category number. See the prizes section below to determine what category you are in. The submission must also include the PAAIA website address: www.paaia.org.
- Only original artwork will be considered.
Copyrighted Images/Subjects: Original signed release forms are required for copyrighted images or materials. Release forms are also needed for "subjects," whether public or private citizens. Release forms are not provided by PAAIA.
DO’S AND DON’TS
- Don't submit collages or posters that mimic ad campaigns (e.g. MasterCard "priceless" commercials) or use images of celebrities, models or others who have not granted you permission to use their image.
- Don't mount, frame or laminate your entry.
- Don't send copy larger than 9" x 12", if submitting by mail.
- Don’t use copyrighted materials, such as musical compositions, branded advertising campaigns, materials written by others, etc.
- Do include requested information in your submission, either on the back of the poster if by mail or in an email if electronically.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Applicants can email their submission to Adrienne@paaia.org or mail it to PAAIA headquarters at:
Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans
1614 20th Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20009
Mailed materials must be postmarked by the application deadline date.
If you prepare a multimedia submission, you may submit it via email or mail a CD, DVD or USB flash drive to PAAIA if the file is too large to be attached. These are the only acceptable methods of submission. Please do not submit an internet link to any websites or to a video hosting service such as YouTube.
The submissions will be reviewed by a panel of judges. The winner of each category will be contacted by PAAIA staff. The five submissions will then be made available to the public, who will vote on the grand prize winner. The grand prize winner will be selected by April 10, 2013.
... Payvand News - 02/14/13 ... --