Photos by Hamidreza Dastjerdi, ISNA
Qasr Prison in Tehran was one of the oldest prisons housing political prisoners. In 2008, Qasr was closed and turned into a museum. Qasr was originally a palace built in 1790 at the time of Qajar king, Fath-ali Shah by the Russian architect Markov. The palace was converted into a prison and inaugurated by Reza Shah on December 2, 1929.
Qasr prison had 192 rooms for a total of 700 prisoners, among which about 100 cells were solitary.
This Qajar-era building was comprised of gardens like Eshrat-abad, Heshmatieh, Saltanat-abad, Malek, Negarestan, and Baghe Shah of which no traces apart from their names are left today.
... Payvand News - 05/01/13 ... --