The new head of Iran's Azad University has announced that students will no longer be expelled or suspended for their political beliefs. ISNA reports that Hamid Mirzadeh told a press conference on Saturday September 21 that this new directive has been issued to all the branches of the Azad University faculty.
He also called on any faculty members who feel they've been unfairly discriminated against to raise the issue with the university administration in order to get a review of their case.
Hamid Mirzadeh recently replaced Farhad Daneshjoo as head of the Azad University.
Throughout the Ahmadinejad administration, universities had assumed a highly conservative stance regarding faculty members and students, forcing many professors into early retirement because of their alleged failure to meet Islamic standards. Many student activists were suspended or expelled for similar reasons.
- During the administration of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the term "starred students" was coined, referring to students who were deemed to have "unacceptable" political activities or beliefs. These students were often suspended or expelled from university and not allowed to continue their studies. - 9/17/13
- A group of Allameh Tabtabai University students who have been suspended or expelled from the university on mostly political grounds held a protest on Saturday in front of the new university supervisor. - 9/15/13
- Jafar Tofighi, the caretaker of Iran's Ministry of Science, Research and Technology, has announced that in the new academic year, no student will be expelled or denied education because of his or her political interests. - 9/2/13
- Sadreddin Shariati, the controversial head of Allameh Tabatabai University, was removed from his position on Monday by the caretaker of Iran's Ministry of Science, Research and Technology, Jafar Tofighi. ISNA reports that on Monday September 2, Hossein Salimi was appointed as the president of Allameh Tabtabai University and will begin his tenure on September 3. - 9/2/13
- In a letter to President Hassan Rohani, the Iranian Academy of Sciences is calling for an end to the critical state of universities and the security-laden atmosphere dominating the higher-education system. - 8/21/13