Source: Radio Zamaneh
As controversy over the alleged attack on political prisoners in Ward 350 of Evin Prison deepens, 74 prisoners have written a letter of complaint urging the Tehran Prosecutor to investigate the matter. The Kaleme opposition website, which first reported on the alleged attack, has now published the prisoners' letter of complaint along with the names of the wounded and details of the incident.
"On April 17 around 9:30 AM a number of officers in plainclothes together with security personnel from the prison entered Ward 350 for inspections," the letter indicates.
The letter relates that the prisoners outside in the yard noticed that the other prisoners were being subjected to beatings by the guards, and their protests led to more intense beatings of all prisoners.
They claim 30 prisoners were transferred to solitary, and two physicians from amongst the prisoners have prepared reports of injuries sustained by 13 of the wounded .
The head of Iran's Prison Organizations has denied that any of the prisoners were beaten by prison authorities.
MP calls for family visits after reports of prisoner beatings
Iranian MP Ali Motahari has called on prison authorities to arrange for the families of political prisoners in Ward 350 of Evin Prison to visit their kin, following the publication of contradictory reports about prisoners in that ward receiving beatings.
MP Ali Motahari talks to family of political prisoners gathered outside the Parliament
Read related article by SHRGH_URL daily
Qanoon on line reports that Motahari said: "The head of Prison Organizations has to be held accountable. At least the families of these political prisoners must be informed, and if they are in hospital, families must be allowed to visit them."
The opposition website Kaleme as well as the Human Rights Activists News Agency reported that political prisoners in Ward 350 had been targeted with a severe attack by ministry of intelligence and Revolutionary Guards Intelligence forces and more than 100 soldier guards, which left more than 30 prisoners with injuries, with some requiring hospital care off the prison premises.
The new was denied yesterday by the national head of Prisoner Organizations as well as Tehran's head of Prisoner Organizations.
Motahari says: "It is not clear they should use such severity, and some people were wounded and some were transferred to solitary confinement. Perhaps some intelligence bodies are acting parallel to the Intelligence Ministry and are trying to create problems for the administration."
Motahari stressed that the judiciary, the minister of justice and the minister of intelligence have to be held accountable, adding that Parliament will follow up on the matter.
He said those who have refuted the reports should arrange meetings between prisoners and their families to establish the truth.
The minister of intelligence has said, according to Shargh Newspaper, that his ministry will soon issue a statement regarding this incident.
... Payvand News - 03/25/16 ... --