Source: Tehran Times
The Iranian foreign minister has said that a comprehensive nuclear deal can be reached only if the 5+1 group (the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany) annuls the sanctions resolutions imposed against Iran by the UN Security Council.
Mohammad Javad Zarif made the remarks after his meeting with the Romanian foreign minister Carmen Burlacu in Tehran on Monday.
One of the most important commitments of the 5+1 group countries will be a lifting of the Security Council sanctions through the existing mechanisms, Zarif stated.
Zarif to hold talks with Ashton in early Sept.
Zarif also said he will definitely hold talks in early September with European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton prior to talks with diplomats from the 5+1 group.
Iran and the six major powers failed to meet the self-imposed July 20 deadline to work out a comprehensive nuclear deal. In their last round of talks in Vienna last month the two sides agreed to extend the talks until November 24.
‘Comprehensive deal reachable if other side does not make excessive demands’
Majid Takht-Ravanchi, a senior member of the Iranian nuclear negotiating team, also said on Monday that a final nuclear deal can be reached if the other side does not make excessive demands.
Takht-Ravanchi also said it is too soon to say that a deal can be reached or not.
Iran’s current approach is to insist on its nuclear rights and assure the other side that Tehran’s nuclear program is solely for peaceful purposes.
Elsewhere in his remarks, Takht-Ravanchi said that the International Atomic Energy Agency’s reports show that Iran has met its commitments agreed in the talks with the six major powers.
Commenting on IAEA director Yukiya Amano’s trip to Iran, he said the visit was in line with the cooperation between Iran and the UN nuclear watchdog and also based on agreements between Iran and the six major powers.
On Sunday, Amano held talks with senior Iranian officials including President Hassan Rouhani and Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) director Ali AKbar.
Araqchi says Iran seeks ‘creative solution’ in nuclear talks
Abbas Araqchi, the second-ranking Iranian diplomat in nuclear talks, said on Monday that Iran is seeking a “creative solution” in the negotiations with the six major powers.
Asked on the talks between Iran and the six major powers on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in September, he said the talks will possibly be held at ministerial level.
Takht-Ravanchi, the deputy foreign minister for American and European affairs, also said preparations are being made to reopen Britain’s embassy in Tehran. He added that Iran’s embassy in London is open and providing services to citizens.
Britain ordered the closure of the Iranian embassy in London after closing its embassy in Tehran following the storming of the compound by angry students in November 2011. The students were protesting against the Western sanctions imposed on Tehran over its nuclear program and Britain’s hostile policies toward Iran.
... Payvand News - 08/19/14 ... --