Source: Tehran Times
The Iranian Foreign Ministry issued a statement on Saturday stating that the new U.S. sanctions run contrary to the Joint Plan of Action and the current process of nuclear talks. Iran rejects any "unacceptable and unilateral interpretation" of the Geneva nuclear deal and strongly believes that the sanctions violate the commitment of the United States made in the deal, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Marzieh Afkham said stated.
Based on the interim nuclear deal, known as the Joint Plan of Action, which was signed between Iran and the major powers in November last year, some sanctions against Iran were eased. Accordingly, Iran agreed to slow down its nuclear activities.
On Friday, the U.S. imposed new sanctions on over 25 Iranian individuals and companies, including shipping firms, oil companies, airlines and six banks.
Afkham went on to say that the U.S. action has "negative and counterproductive" effects on the process of the nuclear talks.
Such action questions "seriousness, honesty and goodwill" of the U.S. and other negotiating sides, she added.
Afkham said that the U.S. action makes Iran doubt Washington's commitment to a comprehensive deal, which should guarantee the lifting of all the "illegal and illegitimate sanctions" imposed against Iran.
Iran and the 5+1 group (the five permanent members of the UN Security Council plus Germany) were unable to meet a self-imposed July 20 deadline to work out a comprehensive nuclear deal. But the two sides then agreed to extend the talks until November 24.
"While Iran has taken confidence building steps based on its commitment to the deal which have been reflected in the International Atomic Energy Agency's reports, Tehran expects the same actions to be taken by the U.S. and other 5+1 group member states," she stated.
The U.S. and other 5+1 states that keep silence over such clear violations of the Joint Plan of Action should bear consequences of such actions, the Foreign Ministry official said.
... Payvand News - 08/31/14 ... --