Source: Islamic Republic News Agency
Baghdad, Dec 12, IRNA - No Iranian was among the victims of the multiple Karbala suburb explosions Thursday night, the cause of which is cited to be mortar or mini katyusha shelling.
The director of Iran Hajj and Pilgrimage Organization's branch office in Iraq Mostafa Qasemi told IRNA that a few people have been reported injured, but noted that none of them were Iranian.
There are no immediate reports on the possible casualties.
He said it is unlikely that Iranians could have been injured in the attacks because Iranian pilgrims are not in the suburbs of Karbala.
Last night at least six approximately heavy sounds of explosion were heard in Karbala and nearby areas.
The attacks on the largest peaceful gathering of Shia Muslims occured at a time that according to Iraqi sources at least 17 million pilgrims had arrived in Karbala until Thursday to participate in Arbaeen rituals - to be held on Saturday -- and the number is still increasing.
Arbaeen is a Shia religious observation that occurs 40 days after Ashura, the day of martyrdom anniversary of Imam Hussein, the third Shia Imam and the grandson of Prophet Muhammad.
Photos: Over one million Iranian pilgrims flock to Iraq to mark Arba'een - Iran's Traffic Police Chief Eskandar Mo'meni on Monday estimated that more than 1,200,000 Iranians would attend this year's Arba'een procession, which falls on December 13 this year. Iranian officials have announced that more than 900,000 Iranians have entered Iraq so far. 12/9/14
... Payvand News - 12/12/14 ... --