Business & Economy | Energy & Oil Art | Film & Music | Events Heritage & History Philanthropy
Sports | Politics For Peace | Society & Culture Literature & Books Health & Medicine
Rights | Women | Diaspora Travel | Environment & Geography Science & Education Middle East & Asia

Home|News|Archive|RSS
twitter|facebook|Privacy Policy



Payvand Iran News ...
01/02/14 Bookmark and Share
New statistics show Iran making progress against landmines

Source: Radio Zamaneh

Iran's ministry of defence says 60 percent of the country's landmine-infested areas have been cleaned up. Islamic Republic News Agency reports that according to the latest statistics, the remaining 40 percent of infested areas are spread out among five Western Provinces.


Photos: Clearing the Mine Fields in Dehloran, Iran (January 2012)

The ministry did not identify the provinces; however, landmines left over from the Iran-Iraq War in the 1980s continue to claim casualties in Kurdistan, Khuzestan, Ilam, Kermanshah and Western Azerbaijan Provinces.

The report adds that five bases have been established in these provinces and they are looking at replenishing the landmine-defusing teams.

Iran remains the second most landmine polluted country in the world.


Photos: Land mine left over from Iran-Iraq war explodes, injures 7 children


Related Articles:

 

... Payvand News - 01/02/14 ... --



comments powered by Disqus

© Copyright 2014 NetNative
(All Rights Reserved)

Popular Now

Join Payvand's Facebook Page

join Payvand's daily News mailing list
* indicates required

Home | Contact | About | Archive | Web Sites | Bookstore | Persian Calendar | twitter | facebook | RSS Feed