Downtown Resident and Civil Engineer Opens Committee To Bring New Leadership To Downtown District
LONG BEACH, CALIFORNIA - Downtown resident Sunny Zia announced her candidacy today for Long Beach Community College’s 3rd District. The district encompasses most of Council Districts 1 and 2.
“I am running to bring new leadership to the Long Beach Community College Board of Trustees and fight for affordable education for all,” said Zia. Her platform includes putting an end to the anti-student two-tier tuition system, increasing access to vocational programs, and reinvesting in the local Long Beach economy.
“Long Beach Community College is the training ground for students who want to go on to a four year university and who want to gain the skills needed to quickly join the workforce. And as a trustee it is our job to ensure that any student who wants that opportunity has it,” Zia said.
Currently Sunny is the Contract Compliance Manager at the Port of Long Beach and responsible for oversight of all contracting practices estimated to be at $4 Billion over the next decade. She was recently appointed by Congressman Alan Lowenthal as the Chair of his Citizen advisory Committee on Human Rights and Foreign Affairs and has been a leader in the non-profit and philanthropic communities. She looks forward to bringing her experience with City government, business, labor, and the community together to serve the best interest of the Long Beach Community College District.
Sunny Zia is a first generation immigrant who grew up in a hardworking family that raised her with the guiding principles of the American dream. From a young age they instilled in her the importance of education as the pathway to success. She moved to the U.S. during the Iran--‐Iraq war with her family in pursuit of a better life. She is a Professional Engineer and holds a Master of Science in Civil Engineering with nearly two decades of experience in Construction, Environmental, Water and Infrastructure projects. Sunny is a former small business owner and consultant to the private and public sector. She has managed a wide range of programs, balanced budgets, and recovered funding for many agencies she has represented.
Currently, she is the Contract Compliance Manager at the Port of Long Beach and responsible for oversight of all contracting practices estimated to be at $4 Billion over the next decade including infrastructure and facility modernization programs. She is responsible for ensuring that all contracting at the Port is fair, equitable and transparent and businesses have a competitive and fair opportunity to compete for contracts.
She was recently appointed by Congressman Alan Lowenthal as the Chair of the Citizen advisory Committee on human rights and Foreign Affairs. She has been a leader in the non--‐profit and philanthropic communities and has led numerous humanitarian projects locally and globally. Her community work spans from working with at--‐risk youth, addressing hate crimes and bullying, overcoming poverty through micro--‐lending, refugee/immigrant resettlement, support for job placement of veterans and other displaced Americans, conflict resolution and interfaith work.
As someone who has received scholarships and financial aid, she is living proof of the success of having access to affordable education. She is running for the District 3 seat on the Long Beach City College Board of Trustees to ensure investment in the City's future by providing equal and affordable access to all Long Beach City College students. For two decades Sunny has worked with City government, business, labor, and the community, giving her the background to be a strong and effective Trustee. As a Trustee, her priority will include ensuring our students' success, eliminating the anti--‐student two--‐tiered tuition program, balancing the budget, restoring jobs, and support for the local Long Beach economy.
Elected Officials, Business and Community Leaders Endorsements:
1. Congresswoman Janice Hahn
2. Congressman Keith Ellison
3. Assemblyman Steve Fox, Chair of Select Committee on Community Colleges
4. Assemblyman Tom Daly, Chair of the Budget Subcommittee No. 4 on State Administration
5. Community College Trustee John Hanna
6. Community College Trustee/Former Assemblyman Jose Solorio,
7. David Nahai (Former Executive Director of LADWP)
8. Ray Cordova (Chairman of South County Labor)
9. Long Beach Harbor Commissioner Rich Dines
10. Councilman Jordan Brandman (City of Anaheim)
11. California Alliance For Retired Americans and Gray Panthers leader, Pat Stanyo
12. Former Harbor Commissioner Mario Cordero
13. Former Harbor Commissioner Dr. Mike Walter
14. Former Mayor of Beverly Hills Jimmy Delshad
15. Former President of Long Beach Chamber of Commerce, Blake Christian
16. Progressive Democrats of America, Orange County Chapter
Labor and Union Endorsements:
17. Laborers Local 507
18. Teamsters Joint Council 42
19. IAM Local Lodge 1930
20. IBEW Local 11
21. ILWU Local 13
22. ILWU Local 63
23. ILWU Local 94
24. Ironworkers Local 416
25. Ironworkers Local 433
26. Operating Engineers Local 12
27. Steamfitters/AC & Refrigeration/Industrial Pipe Fitters Local 250
28. Steamfitters/AC & Refrigeration/Industrial Pipe Fitters Local 345
29. Plumbers Local 78
30. Southwest Regional Council of Carpenters
Related Article: Downtown Resident Sunny Zia Announces Bid for LBCC Board Seat - Long Beach Post
... Payvand News - 03/25/16 ... --