As members of the hardline Principlist group continue to criticize Hassan Rouhani’s administration for its negotiations with the West, a publication published in Tehran quoted some official authorities to say that the decision to resolve the nuclear issue in fact was the “decision of the state” and that protests over this decision will have no impact.
Nuclear Victory (cover of Aseman weekly)
In its latest issues Aseman weekly quoted “an official of a core organization in the country” who had accompanied president Rouhani on his recent trip to Khuzestan and who had been “always present at most of the meetings that Rouhani had held and had been earlier tipped as the possible choice for the post of the “secretary of the supreme national security council and minister of a number of government ministries,” said that the decision regarding the nuclear issue had been made at the highest “system level,” meaning the supreme leader.
Even though the weekly did not name the official authority who had made this remark, the signs indicated that it was most likely Mohammad Foruzandeh, the head of the Mostazafan Foundation. When Rouhani had been forming his cabinet, Foruzandeh’s name had come up a number of times to be the secretary of the security council or head a number of government agencies.
Aseman quoted Foruzandeh to have said, “Everything ended the very day that the Geneva accord was reached.” According to him, the November 24 interim agreement that Iran signed with the P5+1 world powers to roll back some elements of its nuclear program in return for some sanctions relief from the West, was just like the UN Security Council Resolution no 598 which Iran accepted in 1988 as the mechanism to end the 8-year Iran-Iraq war. “The regime has decided to close this case,” he said.
Foruzandeh also is quoted to have said, “Neither the US nor Iran wishes to persist on this issue. Iran has acquired nuclear know-how and is not after the nuclear bomb. If some people are now creating problems and want to sabotage the issue, it is because they want to remain in the limelight. I have sent messages to some of these individuals and asked them to stop this noise. But they don’t want to listen. They want to keep themselves alive.”
These remarks by Foruzandeh are important because he is a directly appointee of ayatollah Khamenei at the Mostazafan Foundation and is a member of the state expediency council. He used to be the minister of defense during Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani’s second presidential term.
In recent days some other senior officials of the Islamic republic had publicly said that the Geneva agreement and the nuclear talks were taking place under the direct supervision of ayatollah Khamenei. Rafsanjani, the head of Iran’s state expediency council, also recently said, “The supreme leader has approved the diplomatic team prior and after the talks.”
Hamid Baeedeenjad, the deputy foreign ministry in charge of the secretariat of implementing the Geneva interim accord, told IRNA news agency that all events and details of the talks are communicated to the supreme leader and other appropriate state agencies. But the negotiations team has never said that “all the details and aspects of the agreement during the talks have had the blessing of the supreme leader.”
Despite these recent statements that Iran’s supreme leader is supportive of the Geneva accord and is aware of its contents, Iran’s hardline principlists and particularly members of the Jebhe Paydari(Steadfast Front that supported Ahmadinejad) continue to criticize Rouhani’s administration over the agreement. Vatan Emrouz newspaper belonging to member of parliament Mehrdad Bazrpash, wrote a piece on the front page of his site, “During the 160 days since Rouhani became president, the Islamic republic has been threatened more than all four years of the previous administration even though this administration has given more concessions to the enemy than the entire life of the Islamic republic.” The writer than asks Rouhani to “just for once” be transparent with the Iranian people and specify “what exactly has been agreed upon in the Geneva agreement and what concessions have been given to the enemy that makes the White House claim that the agreement translated into a military attack on Iran”
Last November when Iran and the P5+1 states signed the Geneva agreement, Vatan Emrouzpublished the first and second pages of its newspaper in just black and white in protest under the title, “Nuclear Holocaust.”
Javad Karimi Ghodoosi is another MP and a member of the hardline Steadfast Front who has been critical of Rouhani’s administration over the Geneva agreement.
Members of the Steadfast Front, who during the last presidential elections supported Saeed Jalili’s candidacy have argued that Rouhani’s administration has been lenient with the West and that it has unnecessarily given it too many concessions without receiving anything in return.
News websites close to the Front have not only criticized Rouhani’s administration but have also published the rhetoric and remarks by some US officials regarding Iran as threats against it. Some have scolded the administration for not responding to what it calls threats against Iran. “Western officials and particularly American authorities have added threatening language to their sanctions language,” Raja News wrote.
... Payvand News - 03/25/16 ... --