Source: Radio Zamaneh
The editor-in-chief of ISNA in Isfahan has been detained by the authorities in connection with the news agency's coverage of the acid assaults on women. Reports indicate that four ISNA staff were originally arrested in this regard, and while two have been released, Editor-in-chief Zahra Mohammadi and the head of ISNA's society columns, Sanam Farsi, remain in custody.
Last week, ISNA confirmed the arrest of its photographers in connection with its coverage of the public protests against the slow government response to the assaults on women in the city of Isfahan.
ISNA was one of the first media outlets to cover incidents of acid throwing in Isfahan; meanwhile, the authorities have not been able to identify the culprits behind the repeated attacks on women.
The authorities have been critical of overt coverage of the incidents and have been trying to play down the attacks and portray them as the actions of a single individual rather than a reflection of a systematic push to enforce the hijab and Islamic dress code for women.
Detainees in acid-throwing investigation said to be innocent
The suspects detained so far in connection with the acid-throwing assaults on women in Isfahan are not responsible for the crimes, Isfahan Governor Rasoul Zargarpour told the media.
The Shargh daily reported on Tuesday October 28 that according to Zargarpour, investigations have proved that the suspects in custody were not involved in the incidents of acid throwing that have shocked the citizens of Isfahan.
While Parliament was looking into the actions of volunteers who enforce morality and hijab in cities, in recent weeks a number of women in the city of Isfahan were assaulted with acid, sustaining serious burns to their face and arms.
The authorities refuse to link the incidents to the enforcement of hijab and have turned the narrative around, saying the perpetrators were anti-Revolutionaries who are trying to connect these atrocities to hijab.
Meanwhile, the reports on the victims are contradictory. While the Interior Ministry has announced there have been four victims, the head of Security Forces was quoted using the phrase "seven or eight."
The incidents have triggered demonstrations by people in Isfahan and Tehran calling for swift action against the perpetrators and the return of safe streets for women.
Iran's President Rouhani orders investigation into acid attacks in Isfahan - Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has instructed three ministries to accelerate efforts to find culprits behind the recent acid attacks in Isfahan amid national outrage over the despicable acts. 10/25/14
... Payvand News - 03/25/16 ... --