Source: Press TV
A senior Iranian official has slammed as pure “bluffs” any military threats against the Islamic Republic, following reports of such acts of belligerence by Saudi authorities.
Ali Akbar Velayati
The countries that threaten Iran with military action and those who order them to do so are merely “bluffing,” said Ali Akbar Velayati, a top adviser to Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei, in a Wednesday press conference with visiting Secretary of State at the Swiss Foreign Ministry Yves Rossier in Tehran.
The Iranian official further emphasized that no country is big enough to threaten and disrespect the Iranian nation as “number one power in the region.”
His comments come as the landmark nuclear agreement between Iran and the world powers apparently drew the ire of Saudi Arabia, prompting it to make military threats against the Islamic Republic.
"Assuming the veracity of these threats, it has to be said that even bigger countries have not dared to disrespect the Iranian nation," Velayati said.
Iran and the group of P5+1 countries - the United States, Britain, France, China and Russia plus Germany - succeeded in finalizing the text of a nuclear accord dubbed the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), in the Austrian capital of Vienna on July 14.
Many governments around the world have hailed the conclusion of the talks as a historic breakthrough, describing it as a major victory for proponents of democracy against those advocating war and military endeavors against other countries.
In an article for Lebanon’s Daily Star last week, former Saudi intelligence chief Prince Bandar bin Sultan claimed that the recent breakthrough in Iran’s nuclear talks with global powers could “wreak havoc” in the Middle East. Bandar also said that Saudi Arabia and its allies in the Persian Gulf region are prepared to take military action against Iran without American support.
During a meeting with US Secretary of State John Kerry in Washington July 16, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said the Riyadh regime is “committed to confront” the Islamic Republic should Iran “try to cause mischief in the region.”
Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has been on a combative campaign against the Iran-P5+1 talks, has warned that the Tel Aviv regime will not be bound by the outcome of the nuclear talks, saying what the nuclear agreement was “a stunning historic mistake.”
... Payvand News - 07/23/15 ... --