Iran finishes 25th in Rio Olympics 2016
Source: Tehran Times
Iran has finished in the 25th place at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Iranian delegation won three gold medals, one silver and four bronzes.
Iranian Olympics Medalists
(artwork by Mohsen Zakeri, Iran Varzeshi newspaper)
USA won the title with 121 medals, including 46 golds, 37 silvers and 38 bronzes. Great Britain finished in second place with 67 medals (27 golds, 23 silvers and 17 bronzes) and China came third with 70 medals (26 golds, 18 silvers, 26 bronzes).
- Iranian weightlifter Kianoush Rostami won a gold medal in the men's 85kg. The weightlifter made 217kg with his final clean and jerk for a total of 396kg, beating his world record by one kilogram.
- Sohrab Moradi easily topped the podium in the men's 94kg weightlifting. Moradi won the gold with a combined total of 403kg.
- Iran's Hassan Yazdani won a thrilling men's freestyle wrestling final against Russian Aniuar Geduev to claim Iran's gold in Rio. He erased a 6-0 deficit to defeat Geduev in the 74 kg freestyle, winning on tie-breaking criteria. Yazdani has now won gold medals at the Junior Wrestling World Championships, Wrestling World Cup (2015 and 2016) and Olympics, and last year he took silver at the Wrestling World Championships in Las Vegas.
- Komeil Ghasemi added a silver medal to Iran's medals in the Olympics. The 125kg freestyle wrestler lost to Turkey's Taha Akgul 4-3 in the final match. Iran is yet to win a gold medal in the 125kg category since 1989, where late Alireza Soleymani won a gold medal in world championships in Martigny, Switzerland.
- Kimia Alizadeh made Iranian history after she won an Olympic bronze medal during the women's taekwondo competition. The 18-year-old taekwondo player beat Nikita Glasnovic of Sweden 5-1 in the under-57kg division and won the medal. Alizadeh became the first ever Iranian woman to win an Olympic medal.
- Hassan Rahimi won a bronze medal in the men's freestyle 57kg wrestling category. The Iranian wrestler defeated Cuba's Yowlys Bonne, the world No. 3, 5-0 to win a bronze medal.
- Iranian Greco-Roman wrestler Saeid Abdevali won a bronze medal in the 75kg after beating Peter Bacsi from Hungary 3-1.
- Greco-Roman wrestler Ghasem Rezaei claimed a bronze medal in the 98kg weight category. He defeated Sweden's Carl Fredrik Stefan Schoen in the bronze medal match.
cartoon by Nazanin Jamshidei, Shahrvand daily
... Payvand News - 03/25/16 ... --