The U.S. state of Hawaii plans to file the first court challenge to President Donald Trump's new executive order temporarily barring visitors from six predominantly Muslim countries as well as all refugees. Hawaii said that it will seek to temporarily halt the order on March 8.
The White House this week issued the new executive order to replace an
earlier, more sweeping one that had been challenged in court by several states
The new order is more narrowly written than the first one issued in January.
It keeps a 90-day ban on travel to the United States by citizens of Iran, Libya, Syria, Somalia, Sudan, and Yemen but excludes Iraq, and applies the restriction only to new visa applicants.
It also suspends U.S. entry for all refugees for 120 days.
"This new executive order is nothing more than Muslim Ban 2.0," Hawaii Attorney General Doug Chin said. "Under the pretense of national security, it still targets immigrants and refugees. It leaves the door open for even further restrictions."
The U.S. Justice Department denied that, saying, "we are confident that the president's actions are lawful to protect the national security of our country."
Separately, the Justice Department on March 7 withdrew its appeal of court orders blocking the previous travel order.
Based on reporting by AP, Reuters, and AFP
"A president responsible for keeping our citizens safe would not hand over ideological ammunition to terrorists." https://t.co/hdZbG5SMhC— Borzou Daragahi (@borzou) March 6, 2017
On Campaign, @realDonaldTrump called for "total and complete shutdown of Muslims entering the United States." Now, says "what Muslim Ban?"— Rep. Keith Ellison (@keithellison) March 6, 2017
Version 2 of the ban still targets Muslims, still inspires more terrorism, still violates our founding principles. Oh, and still illegal. https://t.co/b80kX16G2D— Chris Murphy (@ChrisMurphyCT) March 6, 2017
Just like the first executive order, this one simply seeks to create a Muslim ban. And just like the first order, we'll work to rescind it.— Sen Dianne Feinstein (@SenFeinstein) March 6, 2017
To those impacted by the #MuslimBan: I've been on the frontlines of this fight & I will continue to do so in the future. You are not alone.— Kamala Harris (@KamalaHarris) March 6, 2017
Don't let Trump's second attempt ruin your first impression - this ban on Muslims is just as dangerous and un-American as the first.— Tom Perez (@TomPerez) March 6, 2017
... Payvand News - 03/08/17 ... --